Saturday, October 22, 2011

Library Loot – OWSLibrary


I went to the library on Thursday. Not usually a very remarkable adventure, except this week I took my new ‘library card’ and boarded a No 5 Subway to go down to Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan to see the newest library in town. I had heard so much about it that my curiosity was really peaked.

The library is located on the north-east corner of the park, along Liberty Street. It is fairly organized, utilizing a vast array of plastic containers instead of shelves and, as you can see, there are lots of people browsing about, looking for books.

My library loot consisted of only one book:


I also kind of wanted that copy of Twilight you can see in the photo, but passed it up. Now, I am rather sorry. The weirdest part was just taking Where the Wild Things Are, walking away and no one running after me yelling stop thief at the top of there lungs. I had this momentary channeling of Liesel from The Book Thief until I reminded myself I wasn’t stealing.

Besides the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protesters, there are also lots of tourists, cops, World Trade Center workers on lunch break, and others milling about the park in general. But among the protesters’ there is some pretty impressive organization. I include a few photos for your consideration:

The People’s Library

My Photos
The People’s Kitchen

Photo from The Christian Post (because theirs was better than mine)

The People’s Media Center

Photo from New York Review of Books (because theirs was better than mine)


The People’s First Aid Center

My Photo

Coconut Bubble Tea
I did get hungry while I was in Zuccotti Park. How could you not? The delicious smells of food within the park and smells of the vendors surrounding the park were overpowering. So, I admit I spent $4.00 on a delicious Coconut Bubble Tea from a vendor after deciding the free food in the park should be left for the protesters.

Whether you agree with the protesters or not, you have to admit this was perhaps a one of a kind visit to the library.

You can find out more about the Occupy Wall Street Library at these websites:
The Peoples Library Blog

Twitter
@OSWLibrary

The People's Library Catalogue at
LibraryThing



Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there to help pile properly those books and browse through all of them. Is that the original cover of Where the Wild Things are? Beautiful! I will try to join the Library Loot in the future. For now, though, I could not keep up with doing weekly events for my blog. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, yes, it is an original, there were a few available. I can understand not being about to keep up, read your post and you are busy. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Love the ref. to the Book Thief. I have to get over there. As you say, some impressive organization going on there.

    ReplyDelete