Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #9: Summertime and the readin' is easy...

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's top ten topic is a Summer TBR choice between books you are dying to read now or anticipated new releases.  I have chosen a mix of both:

1. Princess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal - this is the second book in a series that takes place in London during WW 2.  I have read and loved the first book, Mr. Churchill's Secretary, and was very excited to receive this second book at BEA this year and I got to meet Susan Elia MacNeal, who is really nice. 

2. Becoming Clementine by Jennifer Niven - this is the third book in a series about Velva Jean.  The first two were Velva Jean Learns to Drive and Velva Jean Learns to Fly.  Another WW 2, Velva Jean volunteers to fly agents to Normandy, France after the successful D-Day invasion, but she is more interested in finding her brother who is MIA.

3. The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper - this is also the third book in a series about the FitzOsborne family.  The first two novels were A Brief History of Montmaray and The FitzOsbornes in Exile.  Written in journal form by teen Sophie FitzOsborne, she chronicles life in London during WW 2, while waiting for news of her MIA brother.

4. Wonder by E.J. Palacio - I sometimes think I am the only one who hasn't read this yet, but this summer I will be catching up with a few missed books and this is one of them.

5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - ditto what I said about Wonder.

6. Drift: the unmooring of American Military Power by Rachel Maddow - I want to read this out of curiosity and because I don't like that this country has become so militarized.

7. Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr - I got this at BEA and can't wait to read it this summer.  Another very nice author.

8. All Fall Down by Sally Nichols - a YA story that takes place during the Black Plague in England that I want to read after reading the review over at We Sat Down.

9. Prodigy by Marie Lu - I read Legend last year after getting a copy at BEA 201111 and this year I got the sequel.  And yes, another very nice author.

10. Adaptation by Malinda LO - I've read Ash and Huntress and am curious to read this because ti is supposed to be very different from these two novels.  I got a copy at BEA and, yet again, a very nice author.

What are you looking forward to reading this summer?

3 comments:

  1. Lovely list with a lot I didn't know about. I especially like the look of the Velva Jean series. I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars either - waiting for the library to get it. And Wonder - is wonderful! And you know what I think about All Fall Down (thanks for mention!!). Over summer, we'll be reading some children's classics - for a change :) Enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you will enjoy reading children's classics over the summer. They are always fun to revisit. Velva Jean is a very nice series and I enjoyed the second book very much, can't wait to read the third. Wonder may be first on my list though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From this list I have only read Wonder. So many of these are on my TBR list, too. I can't wait to read The Fault in Our Stars. I hope you read Wonder soon. Auggie will touch you and change you for sure. The chapters are 1-4 pages long and really pull you into the story. We are interviewing RJ Palacio on our blog in July and you will be able to find out more about her and where she got the idea for Wonder. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete